Enough Food for Everyone : IF
1 in 8 people go to bed hungry every night and two million children die from malnutrition every year. Yet the world produces enough food for everyone. It’s unfair, it’s unjust, and it’s totally preventable.
At the end of 2012 SEAD joined this campaign with hundreds of other UK international, social and environmental juctice charities to fight hunger.
Watch the IF animation
IF is a national campaign and we hope politicians, institutions, organisations, faith groups, private companies and individuals will become more involved. Our voice must be heard at Westminster, the G8 and worldwide as part of this UK-wide campaign. But in Scotland itself we must also play our part in ensuring every family and every child has a life free from hunger.
In 2013 we need Scotland’s politicians, institutions, organisations, faith groups, private companies and individuals to reflect on their role in tackling global hunger and to take action.
Scotland’s voice must be heard at Westminster, the G8 and across the world as part of the UK-wide Enough Food For Everyone IF campaign.
IF Scottish asks
- IF Scotland supports: we should build on Scotland’s commitment to international development by maintaining and increasing the International Development Fund and the Scottish Climate Justice Fund.
- IF Scotland protects: we should actively support fair and ethical trading, as well as tax transparency, through what we buy.
- IF Scotland inspires: we should use our own history of the Highland Clearances to contribute to the global debate on land rights for people in developing countries.
- IF Scotland learns: we should invest in global citizenship education for children, young people and adults, so they better understand the issue of hunger and their role in tackling it.
- IF Scotland improves: we should assess Scotland’s impact on developing countries and improve our response.
Scotland journey to the Big IF in Belfast
In June, the world’s most powerful leaders will meet in the UK at the G8. This is a big opportunity to tackle hunger. 2013 can be the beginning of the end of hunger IF we make it happen.
On Saturday 15 June, the IF campaign ramps up in Belfast, where thousands of supporters will gather for the Big IF Belfast event, including SEAD.
Belfast event director Dan Schofield from the IF campaign said…
“This promises to be an amazing day of music and entertainment with a really eclectic mix of artistes taking part. We have some fantastic headline artistes lined up who we will announce in the coming weeks, but today we’re delighted to announce that the Ulster Orchestra, Flash Harry, SOAK, David C. Clements and the Belfast Community Gospel Choir will be on the bill, as well as other guests such as actor Richard Dormer of Good Vibrations and Game of Thrones fame. If ever there was an event with something for everyone, this is it – it will be the hottest ticket in town!”
This will be an important moment in the campaign as it’s two days before world leaders gather for the G8 summit in Lough Erne. This is an amazing opportunity to stand with the people of Northern Ireland and across the UK to show our support for the campaign and help tackle the scandal of hunger.
For more infomation on the G8 and the IF campaign download the G8 Briefing here
Scottish IF journey to the G8
IF will be making the journey from Scotland with buses leaving at around 8am from Edinburgh and Glasgow on Saturday 15th June. The journey will be full of activities which will become part of our action, ensuring we take a strong voice from Scotland. You will learn more about the campaign issues, watch campaign films and meet with those involved in the IF campaign.
Join our journey to G8 and help strengthen our messages to the G8 leaders.
the Big IF Belfast will see up to 10,000 local supporters of a range of charities and organisations come together in solidarity with people in the developing world who don’t have enough to eat, to demand change from the world’s most powerful leaders.
Places are filling up on the buses fast so go and book your place click here to join the Scottish journey to the G8
Political support in Scotland
February 2013: the leaders of Scotland’s four largest political parties show their public support for the Enough Food For Everyone IF campaign during an event at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, as they receive copies of the Scottish manifesto – which contains specific policy recommendations for Scotland.
What you can do to help…
- Sign up: IF is all about you. With millions of you involved, telling our leaders that they need to take action to fix the broken food system, 2013 can mark the beginning of the end for global hunger. We need as many people to sign up to this campaign as possible you can sign up to IF
- Show people that you support the campaign and get your IF wrist band
- Ask your Members of the Scottish Parliament to write to the First Minister, calling for action by the Scottish Government which could help make 2013 the beginning of the end of world hunger Your voice can make a difference. Take action today.
- Keep up to date with IF events in Scotland
- Join us at G8 in Belfast
For more infomation on the National IF campaign go to this link